General Department of International Legal Cooperation
Before 1996, the international cooperation in the Prosecutor General’s Office of the Russian Federation was carried out by the Division of International Legal Affairs.
In February 1996, the Department of International Legal Cooperation was created in the Prosecutor General’s Office of the Russian Federation, composed of the Division of Treaties and Legal Affairs and the Protocol Division and later on – the Division of Extradition, the Division for Execution of International Rogatory Commissions and the 2nd Division of Extradition.
A new stage began in June 2006 in the organisation of work of the Prosecutor General’s Office of the Russian Federation in the area of international cooperation when the General Department of International Legal Cooperation was created composed of three divisions: the Division of Extradition, the Division of Legal Assistance and the Division of International Law.
At present, the General Department of International Legal Cooperation comprises the following units:
the Extradition Department consisting of three Divisions;
the Legal and Law Enforcement Assistance Department consisting of three Divisions;
the Organisational-Legal Department consisting of four Divisions.
the Division of International Cooperation in Major Cases (acting as a Department)
the Documentation Support Division.
The main functions of the Extradition Department:
- to consider and organise the execution of requests of foreign states’ competent bodies for extradition or enforcement of a sentence;
- to organise the preparation and sending to foreign state extradition requests with the view of criminal prosecution or enforcement of a sentence;
- to organise the admission and transfer by the Russian Federation of mentally ill persons in accordance with court-ordered involuntary commitment,
- to interact with the INTERPOL NCB Russia in the international search with the aim to arrest and extradite persons for criminal prosecution and enforcement of the sentence.
The main function of the Legal and Law Enforcement Assistance Department:
- to carry out the obligations and exercise the rights stemming from the international treaties and legislation of the Russian Federation on international legal assistance in criminal matters, administrative violations and international law enforcement assistance.
The main functions of the Organisational-Legal Department:
- to provide for the establishment, development and coordination of the relations of the bodies and organisations of the Prosecution Service of the Russian Federation with the competent authorities, organisations, institutions of foreign states and territories, international bodies and organisations;
- to facilitate the participation of the representatives of the organisations of the Prosecution Service of the Russian Federation in the international events organized in the Russian Federation and abroad;
- to provide for elaboration of treaties and legal basis to enable the participation of
the bodies and organisations of the Prosecution Service of the Russian Federation in the international cooperation;
- to provide for organisational, information-analytical and methodological support of the activities of the prosecution bodies in international cooperation, to provide for the participation in law-making activities, legal education and awareness-raising in the area of international cooperation in the procedure established by the organizational and regulatory documents of the Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation;
- to provide for carrying out written and oral translations from foreign languages and the languages of the peoples of the Russian Federation into Russian, and from Russian into foreign languages.
The main functions of the Division of International Cooperation in Major Cases (acting as a Department):
- to maintain cooperation with the competent authorities of foreign states and international organisations in the area of extradition and legal assistance in major cases.